The Massachusetts School of Law (MSLAW) is a SEVP-Certified School. MSLAW welcomes applications from students who have completed their Bachelor degree or other post-graduate studies outside of the United States. An applicant who received his or her degree from a college or university outside the United States must have his or her transcript evaluated by World Education Services (WES) or LSAC’s Foreign Credential Evaluation Service. Foreign applicants must submit the evaluation with all other admission materials and meet all regular admission requirements.

Once admitted, you must contact the Director Academic Services and Career Development, Paula Colby-Clements, to obtain an I-20. In order to create the I-20 admitted students must submit the following documentation: (1) Copy of a valid passport, (2) Financial information showing proof of necessary funds to cover tuition and living expenses (3) Copy of drivers license (if applicable), (4) If already in the US attending another school you need to submit a copy of your current I-20.

In addition, prior to obtaining your visa from the consulate, you must pay the SEVIS fee. Information regarding the fee is below.


For F, M, & J Non-immigrant Students & Exchange Visitors
Foreign Students wishing to attend MSLAW must obtain an I-20 from Paula Colby-Clements, the Designated School Official for Immigration Affairs. Before entering the United States students must obtain a passport issued by their government and visit a U.S. embassy or consulate with the I-20 issued by MSLAW to obtain an entry visa to enter the United States. The visa application requires that students submit proof of funds and financial support while attending MSLAW.

Beginning September 1, 2004 the Department of Homeland Security began collecting a congressionally mandated fee to cover the costs of SEVIS, the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System.

For additional information about this program, please see SEVP on the web at:

For visa related issues, please see the Department of State:

SEVIS is an automated system for collecting, maintaining, and managing data about foreign students and exchange visitors during their entry to, stay in, and exit from the United States. The term “Exchange Visitor” refers to individuals on the J-l visa.

We understand that at least at the beginning of the SEVIS fee implementation, fee payment verification may not be available electronically. Be prepared to show the original receipt notice to the consul to verify fee payment. Make a copy of the receipt notice and keep it for your records.

The U.S. Government has provided the following questions and answers about the SEVIS fee.

Who pays the fee?

Those who wish to enter the United States either as a student or an exchange visitor with a Form I-20 or DS-2019 dated on or after September 1, 2004.

Participants of federally sponsored exchange visitor programs, which are designated by program codes beginning with G-1, G-2, orG-3 are not subject to this fee. Spouses and dependent children (F-2, M-2) of students or exchange visitors (J-2) do not pay this fee.

How much is the fee?

For students (F-1, F-3, M-1, or M-3)

For spouses and dependent children (F-2, M-2, or J-2) of students or exchange visitors

For exchange visitors (J-1) unless participating in:

Federally sponsored exchange visitor program (program codes start with G-1, G-2, or G-3)

Summer work/travel program

Au pair program

Camp counselor program

When do prospective students or exchange visitors pay the SEVIS fee?

Applicants who require a visa to enter the United States must pay the SEVIS fee before going to the U.S. embassy or consulate for their visa interview.

Applicants who are citizens of Canada, Bermuda, and residents of certain other islands (see 8 CFR 212.1a) wishing to apply for F-1, F-3, M-1, M-3, or J-1 status at a Port of Entry into the United States must pay and process the SEVIS fee before appearing at the Port of Entry.

Nonimmigrants currently in the United States who apply for student or exchange visitor status must pay the fee prior to filing their change of status application.

How is the fee paid?

Through the internet at by using a credit card and completing the online Form I-901 (Fee for Remittance for Certain F, M, and J Non-immigrants); or

Through the mail by submitting a completed Form I-901 and a check or money order drawn on a US Bank and payable in US currency; or

By a third party such as a school or sponsor; or

By selected sponsors of an exchange program by submitting a bulk or group payment.

When must the fee be paid?

The fee must be paid to ensure that the payment can be deposited and recorded in SEVIS prior to the scheduled visa interview.

To allow for adequate processing time the fee must be paid:

At least three business days prior to the visa interview date for electronic submissions.

At least three business days (HIO note: It will probably take longer.) before the scheduled visa interview for mail submissions to allow for delivery at the DHS address listed on the Form I-901. This time frame allows the fee payment to be deposited and recorded in SEVIS.

How will the payment be verified?

The payment will be recorded in the SEVIS system. However, it is recommended that the paper I-797 or the Internet generated receipt be brought to the visa interview.

DHS will issue an official paper receipt (I-797) for every payment received.

Individuals who file electronically will be able to print an electronic receipt immediately at the time of payment.

Individuals may request Express delivery service for the I-797 receipt at an additional cost of $30.

When must continuing students (F-1, F-3, M-1, or M-3 non-immigrants that have begun, but not finished, a program) pay the SEVIS fee?

Continuing students must pay the SEVIS fee before:

Filing an application for reinstatement when they have been out of status for more than 5 months; or

When applying for a new visa or returning to the United States after an absence of more than 5 months that did not involve authorized overseas study; or

When filing an application for a change of status to an F, M, or J classification except for changes between F-1 and F-3 or between M-1 and M-3.

When must continuing exchange visitors (J-1 non-immigrants who have begun, but not finished a program) pay the SEVIS fee?

Continuing exchange visitors must pay the SEVIS fee before:

Filing a reinstatement application after a substantive violation; or

Filing a reinstatement application after they have been out of status between 121 and 269 days; or

Applying for a change of exchange visitor category unless the new exchange visitor category is fee exempt (federally sponsored programs with program codes that start with G-1, G-2, or G-3).